Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Calendar Year!

Yes, I'm specifying that it's a happy new calendar year. Hey, those who arbitrarily chose January first as new years don't necessarily have the final say! Three other new year celebrations come to mind. There's the Chinese new year, the Jewish new year, and also the Pagan new year - each on separate days from each other, as well as being separate from the calendar new year.

Being Pagan, I celebrate Samhain (the Pagan new year), but I also celebrate the calendar new year. So that's two new years I celebrate every year. But honestly, I do get much more excited about Samhain than I do about the calendar new year. Still, I had some fun last night, though I didn't go out and party.

My mom and I are absolutely in love with the "Abhorsen" trilogy, by Garth Nix. I got the first book in the trilogy, "Sabriel," for Christmas. (Yeah, I'm Pagan, but with Christians in the family I also celebrate Christmas.) Mom and I thought it would be a great opportunity to introduce Tall One to the trilogy. So, we listened to "Sabriel" last evening. To tell the truth, though, I don't think there's much Tall One doesn't know about the trilogy - mom and I have told him so much about it already. We're hard put to find things we haven't already told him about the story.

We also did other things while listening. Mom did some cooking, I did loom knitting, mom and Tall One played a game...and so we whiled away the hours until midnight. Close to midnight dad joined us. He'd been doing something else - maybe reading?

We counted down the seconds to the new year, and when the clock read 12:00, we drank sparkling apple cider together.

Happy 2009 everyone!

No comments: