Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Poetry class

I had my first class of creative writing today. My professor is interesting. Turns out that he's co-editor of a poetry magazine. The story behind it is that an old friend of his inherited quite a bit of money some years back. This friend of his said to him "Hey, I want to start a poetry magazine with this money. Do you want to be co-editor?" My professor says that one of the perks of being co-editor is that his own poetry is getting published, at long last.

As one of my classmates observed, the moral of that story seems to be this; if you want to get published and are having trouble getting your work accepted, be friends with someone who happens to inherit a bunch of money and who feels like starting a magazine! 

I discovered that there are actually two classes going on at the same time in the classroom. One is advanced, the other isn't. It's the non-advanced class I'm in. Yeah, one of my poems is getting published in Cricket this April, but whatever. This is my first class on actually writing poetry, so I figured the beginning would be a good place to start.

Reminds me of a certain song in The Sound of Music;

Let's start at the very beginning,
a very good place to start...

And speaking of starting and beginning things, I should start on my poetry homework about now.

No comments: