Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Goddesses in my Life

Some deities are confusing me. Here's how it goes:

Last spring Brighid sprang into my life. It took me a while to figure out who she was, and I had to look around at the different goddesses in various pantheons before I figured it out. After a few weeks I found a description of Her, and my search was at an end. Then, Danu also stepped into my life. She was a little subtler, though; I'm not even sure which of us took a liking to the other first. In the last month she's taken a larger role in my life, and I am now giving offerings to her, in the form of cut up veggies (they have to be ones I love, like potatoes or onions) placed in the compost pile.

Brighid and Danu are Irish goddesses. Well, I know I have Scottish heritage, and if you've got Scottish heritage you're likely to also have Irish heritage, so it's not surprising that Danu's taken an interest in me - I think she's taken to me partially because of my heritage. Brighid, on the other hand...I think she loves everyone, and couldn't care less about my heritage.

So, I figured that I was settling down nicely into Celtic stuff. I figured I was something along the lines of a Celtic Reconstructionist, but I haven't called myself by that name because although I'm into Celtic stuff (the afore mentioned goddesses, bagpipe music, Irish dance, ect.) I haven't really made a point of doing research into it. Well, some might have called me a Celtic Recon anyways. I dunno.

Then, yesterday something quite surprising happened while I was journeying during my Shamanism class: I met Pele. She is the Hawai'ian volcano goddess, and unless I am quite mistaken, she has nothing whatsoever to do with the Celts. She also seems to be planning to stay in my life. My first response to that was "But I don't have Hawai'ian heritage! What's going on???" But then I got thinking...I'll write more when I figure out how to put the general way my thoughts are going down in words.

You know, I have nothing against Eclectic Pagans, but I never expected to be one. I wouldn't have chosen to be one, either. But, the decision seems to have been made for me, and I'm not about to get into an argument with Pele over it.

No comments: