Thursday, February 5, 2009

Looking around Marylhurst

I went to Marylhurst today, and talked to admissions. My idea of minoring in English more or less went out the window. Turns out that music therapy is such an intensive program that throwing in a minor would be a whole lot of extra work. I may wind up deciding to do it anyways, but at this point in time it's not part of the plan.

I also got a tour of the campus. It was so cool. There's actually a bell that chimes on the hour! I was so excited to hear it. The library is beautiful, and is three stories! Wow. There are statues around the place that are just beautiful. About half (as a rough guess) are religious. There's also a cemetery! Can you believe that?

I learned a little of the history of the university. Apparently it was founded by some Christian sisters, and an orphanage was part of it. The afore mentioned cemetery is where they (or at least some of them) were buried. I went into the cemetery, while poking around after the tour was over. Now, I'd been taking lots of photos, but I put my camera away once I went in. I somehow felt that it was sacred space, and that taking photos would be disrespectful. I've never had that feeling before.

I felt like I kept running into Christianity all over the place! I was happy with it, though. True, I'm Pagan, but so long as other religions aren't trying to shove themselves down my throat I get along with them great; and though there were plenty of Christian overtones, I did not feel like it was getting shoved down my throat. So, I delighted in what I found. :)

I ran into my guitar professor. That was surprising, and neat. Well, ok, so it wasn't quite as surprising as it might have been; I already knew that he's also a professor at Marylhurst, and I ran into him when the tour took me into the music department. He teaches in the music therapy program - yep, exactly what I'm going into! I think I'll be seeing more of him.

No comments: