Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Studying ENG

Ok, I have a big test in English next Monday. I'm putting my notes into the computer, and then it occurred to me - you know, the more ways/times you write it down, the more easily you'll remember. So, why not put some of the "highlights" in my blog! So, here it is. Hopefully it'll be interesting. If not, ignore.

ps. I'll add in "editorial" comments here and there, in red lettering. Why red? It's my favorite color. :P

-----

Ways of reading

"Naive" reading

Pre-critical
Just enjoy it!
It's the experience of the story
Never feel like you need to give up naive reading!

Sophisticated reading
Apply some critical concepts: plot, conflict, ect.
"Pause," and analyze it

It's good to do both naive and sophisticated reading

I usually try to do naive reading in my first read through of anything, but I sometimes find myself trying to analyze things despite myself.

Conflict

Conflict is the ENGINE of the plot!!

Usually seven stages of plot

1) Exposition
2) Inciting moment
3) Rising action
4) Turning point
5) Further complication
6) Climax
7) Denouement

Memory jogger I had to come up with: Even In Rings The Forest Closes Down

Don't ask me what this memory jogger is supposed to be. All I know is that it's what I came up with, and it works. lol

Recipe for a quest story

1) Questor - person who's looking for something
2) Place to go
3) Stated (ostensible) reason for going
4) Obstacles en route
5) Real reason for going - it's usually different from ostensible reason
Reason can be: "educational," self knowledge,

Interesting how "quest" sounds like "question." Hmm...

Irony gotta love it :P

Three major types

1) Verbal - can be like sarcasm, when you say one thing and mean another
2) Situational - opposite result from what's expected
I'd say that a friend of mine losing her GPS recently qualifies...
3) Dramatic - when reader/viewer knows more than the character does

----

This is actually only a tiny insy bitsy sampling of what I've got in my notes...but anyways. So that's that. Now what?


No comments: