Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pet peeve

I just got home a few minutes ago from mending books at the library. It's a volunteer position, and when I first found out about it I jumped up and down saying "Oh, I wanna do that, I wanna do that!" Well, ok. I don't remember if I exactly jumped up and down...but that's about how I felt about it. Really excited.

So, anyways. What's my pet peeve? My pet peeve is this: sometimes patrons try to mend books themselves. I figure they do it for one of two reasons. Either they want to help out, and figure that if they hurt the book they ought to be the one to fix it. Or perhaps they don't want to get in trouble, and hope that we don't notice the difference.

Believe me, in mending, we do notice the difference when patrons try to mend books themselves. And, we aren't happy when we find a patron "repair" job.

Don't get me wrong. We (or at least I) appreciate that patrons want to help. But, they usually cause more problems than they solve. Often enough we have to undo whatever the patron has done. Like, say, if they've taped a page back into a book. The special glue we have at the library works much better than the tape does, so we have to remove the page they've taped in, and then do our glue job, which will last longer than the tape will. Wouldn't it be much easier if we only have to do the glue job, without first having to deal with the tape the patron has used?

Maybe some libraries do appreciate patrons trying to do mending jobs. But, unless you know you go to a library like that, please, please, please, don't do mending jobs yourself. It'll only serve to annoy and irritated whoever is doing mending for the library.

No comments: