Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lock downs

Yesterday there was a lock down at PCC Sylvania campus. (Actually they're now called "shooter alert" at PCC, but I still think of them as "lock down.") The cause of the lock down was someone threatening suicide. I don't know details, but apparently it was resolved without any violence. Or if there was violence, it was minimal, since I didn't hear anything about it.

I wasn't at the campus at the time, and I know that this isn't the first time that PCC has had a lock down that wasn't just a drill. I've thought about it before (heck, I've been in lock down drills), but I got to talking to my mom yesterday, and starting really thinking about it.

If you've been to PCC, you probably have an idea of what the classrooms are like. Some of them are fantastic for lock downs, but others aren't. Some classrooms have one wall that is entirely windows. Yeah, they have blinds that can be pulled down, but one wall being all windows doesn't strike me as particularly safe during a shooting. Some rooms have windows with no blinds at all. Those windows tend to be small, but still, it doesn't strike me as the safest thing.

I'm not going to try to get all of the buildings at PCC remodeled. No way. Even if I tried, it's not like they have a lot of money to spare. However, I do predict that future architecture for college campuses will be different.

No comments: