Saturday, May 30, 2009

Donating blood

I've thought before that donating blood would be a good way to help other people. I've also been sort of afraid to do it, because I don't like the big needles that are usually used to draw blood. There have been plenty of times when I would see a blood drive, think to myself "You know, I really should do that," but then failed to do so.

I don't have a needle phobia. Believe me, with the anxiety problems I've had I know what a phobia is, and I do not have needle phobias. But, I do know that needles can be painful, and I avoid them when possible. So, whenever I've seen a blood drive, I've always said "Oh, I'll donate next chance I get, just not this time."

Enough is enough. I am going to donate blood.

I came to this decision during my public speaking class, believe it or not. Our next speech will be a persuasive one, and the professor was showing us examples of persuasive speeches. One of them was persuading people to donate blood. Since I've said before that I should do it, and I think it's a great way to help people, I was easily persuaded.  And what do you know, but just later that day I found out that there will be a blood drive next week. Not only that, but it's at a place that is really convenient for me, so I don't even have the excuse that I would have to go out of my way to donate.

I've told my family and I'm posting it here, to make sure that I don't chicken out. I'll post about it after I donate.

No comments: