Monday, May 18, 2009

Pagan or Playgan?

First of all, let me clarify what a "Playgan" is for those who may not know: it is someone who is merely playing at being a Pagan, and is actually pretty darn clueless at what Pagans actually believe. Or else they know, don't really believe it, and are just playing at being a Pagan to tick off their parents or whatever.

There is an interesting discussion on an online forum, in which someone has said that people who openly wear a pentacle are Playgans. His reasoning is that a person's religion is private, and that anyone who wants to "flaunt" it can't be taken seriously.

I say phooey. 

I openly wear a pentacle, for three reasons:

1) I know that some people are convinced that us Pagans are evil and worship the devil. The more of us who are visible to the public, the better chance we have of correcting this stereotype.

2) I love talking religion, and I love learning about other people's religions. When people make a comment or ask about my pentacle, that opens up a way for me to ask and learn about their beliefs, which tends to lead to fun conversations.

3) I just plain old like to identify and be identified by fellow Pagans. Of course, there are those "Playgans" around, so you can't always assume someone with a pentacle is a Pagan.

I don't claim to be an expert on the Pagan religions. Not by a long shot. There is a lot out there to learn, even if you just stick to one particular Pagan religion. And with a variety of Celtic deities showing up, and Pele also inserting herself into my life, I have a lot to learn. Still, I know what I believe, and my beliefs are Pagan. Not Playgan.

No comments: