Friday, June 19, 2009

Hawks on my block, and Pagan Values Month

My family moved into this house two Samhains ago, which makes this our second spring/summer in it. About this time last year we were amazed to find that there were fledgling red tailed hawks in our neighborhood, and was delighted to find that the nest was only a block from the house. This year, we were on the lookout for them. The youngsters started flying two days ago.

We're a little confused, though. It looks like there are two red tailed hawk nests on our block, which seems strange. They're territorial, and I wouldn't expect they would tolerate having another nest so close. Then again, if there's enough food in the area and they aren't having to compete, two nests on the same block just might not be so weird.

In any event, they're delightful.

I actually woke up this morning to the sound of the young hawks. It's actually not a very pleasant sound, but I was too charmed by knowing I was hearing red tailed hawks to care. Fortunately the youngsters will be gone before I get over being charmed and begin to get irritated. :P

You might be asking what this has to do with Pagan Values Month. Well, my own path is earth based, and as such I love nature. *grin* Or, perhaps you could say that I love nature, and as such my path is earth based. (I would like to point out that not all Pagans follow an earth based path -- that's a common misconception about us.) Following a nature based path doesn't mean that I have to get out and go hiking every weekend, though that would be fantastic. Hmm...I'm trying to figure out how to explain it, but I'm not sure how. So, I think I'll share what I do.

I take joy in watching the changing of the seasons. My family feeds birds, and I can even put a name to some of the species. I have an herb garden. I pay attention to plants. I even talk to plants. I talk to the spirit of the land I live on. When I noticed that a wetlands area near my house needed to be cleaned up, I contacted the authorities of my area and offered to put together a clean up team -- as it happened someone else took charge, and I had no part in it, but I'm happy that I brought it to their attention. I coexist with the box elder beetles that my mom and brother would love to be rid of...though I admit I can't coexist with spiders very well. I recognize that everything has its place in the ecosystem, including the spiders that I am so afraid of. I delight in seeing the young animals every spring/summer. I love seeing new plants poking up through the soil. I thank the plants in my herb garden as I harvest them...

...I think you get the picture. :)

No comments: