Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pagan Values Month -- minorities

I read a story in the Oregonian the other day about a girl called Rainbow. You can click on the link I've provided to see all the details, but I'll sum it up here. Rainbow is a young woman who is homosexual. Recently she was out really late with her friends, just hanging out. A man asked her if she was homosexual, and when she answered yes his response landed her in the ER.

This happened right here in Portland. My Portland, which let me tell you, is really great for minorities. Rainbow has apparently lived here her entire life, and was amazed that such a thing could happen in this city. But, things do happen, even in places you consider perfectly safe.

So you may be asking what this has to do with Pagan Values Month. No, I'm not trying to tell you that we're all homosexuals. But we do have something in common with them -- we're both minorities. As I was reading that article, I was thinking "That could so easily have been a Pagan that happened to."

Being Pagan I am most likely to jump up and down about trying to help people understand about Pagans: that we don't worship the devil, are most certainly not godless, are normal people (if anyone can be called "normal"), and so on and so forth. But at the same time, it seems to me that in order to effectively combat misunderstandings about Paganism, all other minorities voices must be heard as well.

The issue here isn't that Pagans or homosexuals are being targeted. The issue is that minorities are being targeted.

I'm not saying that you should go out and try to educate everyone about every minority out there. No way. I don't think that would work. However, if everyone does one little thing to educate about one minority, that could add up to be a big help. Being Pagan, my little thing is that I wear a pentacle, and show by my actions that Pagans aren't all nasty people. What will your little thing be, to help people learn about a minority? Which minority?

I've probably got you curious by now what the Pagan stance on homosexuality is. Like everything else Pagan, there is no "official" stance, but I have yet to meet a Pagan who has a problem with homosexuality. I'm sure there are some Pagans out there who think it's bad, but they are few and far between. The attitude we have is generally "Well if the goddess made someone homosexual, then that's that. And it's not hurting anyone, so what's all the fuss about?" I've even seen some say "It's the goddess's way of birth control!" :D

No comments: