Friday, July 31, 2009

Blessings

Magaly, over at the blog Pagan Culture, recently had an incident which landed her in ER. She shared it on her blog the other day, titling the post Bumps, Bruises & BLESSINGS. What struck me was that she spent more time talking about the blessings than either the bumps or bruises, in spite of the fact that her bumps and bruises were quite nasty. It made me think, a little.

A couple years back, I had a concussion that landed me in ER. I don't want to go into all the details, but I got the concussion on October 30th, tried going to school on the morning of the 31st, threw up on the bus, was taken to the doctor by parents, got sent to ER by the doctor (after he made his displeasure known about the fact that no one checked up on me every few hours during the night, and that I'd attempted to go to school that day), and went back home that evening. It was not a pleasant experience, to say the least. Yet, in spite of that, like Magaly I'm more inclined to remember the little blessings that came my way, and how wonderful other people were.

1) When I threw up on the bus, people were very nice about it. One woman brought me a paper towel to wipe my mouth. And the guy sitting right next to me didn't bolt, much to my surprise, because he was so concerned.

2) The cemetery the bus let me off at (I swear, I am NOT kidding -- the next stop after I threw up happened to be a cemetery, and this was on Samhain aka Halloween) was nice and peaceful. I sat under a tree to write poetry.

3) One of my mom's coworkers drove my mom over to pick me up from the graveyard, in spite of the fact that I might throw up in her car. I didn't, by the way.

4) When I got to ER I was amused to find that my nurses were in costume. It was Halloween, remember. My nurses were a devil and a crocodile.

5) I told one of the nurses that I'd been on my way to poetry class when I'd thrown up, and she asked my favorite poets. When I told her Shel Silverstein and Sappho, we got to talking about Sappho, much to my delight.

6) When I was released from ER but waiting for a ride home, one of the staff picked up a little spider ring that was on the floor and gave it to me, saying something along the lines of "God bless you." I still have the ring.

7) I got to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters that evening! I think that was when I decided that handing out candy is at least as fun as (if not more fun than) going door to door as a trick-or-treater. Ok, so I would have be doing this even if I hadn't been in ER, but it's part of my memories of that day, so I figured I'd add it in.

So on reflection, I think that as bad as visits to ER might be, that they can and do have one upside: they help us realize exactly how much we are blessed.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

How many people get nursed by a devil and a crocodile? LOL! Good story!

Sarita said...

I heard that one of the other nurses working in ER was a condom, though I didn't see him. lol