Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fourth of July

Fourth of July was pretty good, though my family didn't do anything special beyond a nice meal. We normally go out to see fireworks, but the Vancouver fireworks show was a no-go this year, which meant that those closer to home would be extra crowded. Mom and Tall One didn't want to deal with the crowds, I was sick anyways. Hmm, interesting, I almost didn't even think to mention dad. I guess that's because with his medical conditions, he hasn't had the stamina to do things like going to firework shows in some years. :(

We watched the "The Terminal," which was recommended by one of my mom's coworkers. It was a neat movie. Ok, "we" being mom, Tall One, and myself. Dad didn't feel like watching it.

I stayed up until about 1am, waiting for the neighbors to stop doing fireworks, so I could sleep in peace and quiet. Honestly -- it sounded like our neighborhood was being bombed last night! When I made that observation to Tall One, he pointed out "Yep, and plenty of veterans don't like the fourth of July just for that reason." Oh my gosh. I hadn't thought of that before. They have my sympathies. Most of them have things tough enough already, without our Independence day making them feel like they're back in a war zone again.

And because I left one of my bedroom windows open a couple inches or so, my room smelled like smoke. My mom discovered this before I did, and decided to solve the problem by simply closing my bedroom door. Well, that did keep smoke from getting into the rest of the house, but it didn't help my room! I wound up sleeping on the futon in the living room. *rolls eyes* I took it with good humor, though. :P

No comments: