Friday, August 21, 2009

Goals

I have a few goals to accomplish during break, before school starts again. So I've decided to share them, and how I mean to accomplish them, here.

1) Get a job. Obviously I'll accomplish it by job hunting, and I've already started the process.

2) Learn about Hawai'ian deities and religion(s). I figure this is probably a good idea, since Pele has decided to be my matron goddess, and doesn't show any signs of leaving. I'll do this by Googling the subject, and also by visiting my local library. I'll share tidbits of what I learn here, to prove that I'm following through on this goal, and am not getting lazy.

3) Get more of my poems accepted for publication. Obviously this doesn't depend solely on me, but also on whether the publishers I submit my poetry to want to publish my stuff, so I may not accomplish this. But, I can try. I'll start by taking a look at the latest edition of Poet's Market at my local library (unfortunately I can't take it home, since it's a reference book) and taking note of which magazines publish the kinds of poetry I write. Then, I'll just have to submit my poetry, and hope for the best! I'll share which magazines I submit to, and also share whether they accept my poetry or not.

So, from the looks of things, I should probably visit my library pretty soon. :)

9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good luck with all your goals!

Sarita said...

Thanks. :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

"Pele has decided to be my matron goddess" This made me grin! I usually tell people, especially non-Pagans that Sin and Hekate, my Patron and Matron respectively chose me, not the other way around. I was a bit afraid of Hekate when She started our relationship *grin again*. She had such a fame as a Dark Goddess and I was not trying to be part of it. Then She was in my dreams, would show up in my writing, my reading... and well stayed.

Dalesings said...

And remember, some of the spirit power of Hawai'i might be found lurking previously in Lemuria
(sometimes called Mu - "Motherland")...just a thought....

Sarita said...

Having Pele as my matron goddess is a bit -- interesting. She's such a contrast to me. Her element is fire, and that's the one element I'd avoid if I could. She has all kinds of affairs, but I haven't even been on my first date yet. She's known for fiery and even having a temper, and I'm not. So, it's an interesting contrast. lol But we get along.

In truth, if I have to choose a deity as my role model, it'd be Brighid, not Pele. lol

Dalesings said...

I'm a remote observer here, of course, without credentials in your life...but...I observe you as you explore face paintng, henna art, pagan studies, career decisions, barbershop chorus singing, Highland games, spinning using historic techniques, weaving from your own spun yarn...and, oh my, countless other avidly-persued curiosities...and from where I sit, I see fire in your belly not smouldering, but fully aflame! And you say unh-unh?!?

Sarita said...

Actually I haven't woven from my own spun yarns, I did loom knitting with my own spun yarn.

Ok, so I'm around fire a lot in a way, but that doesn't mean I'm fully comfortable with physical flames.

Dalesings said...

I apologize if I've been too bold. I note, though, that Brighid is the poetess; and that her Christian descendant, St. Brigid, is keeper of the flame. It's apparent that you have chosen wisely in either case.

Sarita said...

I didn't choose. Brighid just happens to be my favorite. Oh and then Loki has sort of taken a liking to me, and I recently found something saying that he's a god of fire. I've never seen that in my experiences with him, but then again you never see every side of someone right away.

Fire. In physical reality I'd rather avoid it, but...lol Now I don't even know what I'm trying to say.