Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Circle of life type stuff



I discovered this song recently, and instantly fell in love with it. I didn't know why I fell in love with it, though, because I'm vegetarian.

After writing about being vegetarian earlier I realized why. The song is ultimately about respecting life. Yeah, in particular it's talking about the hunt, but really it seems that the theme of the song could be applied to any life -- including plants. So, it's as relevant to vegetarians as it is to carnivores.

Speaking of plants...

I have of course seen great trees taken down before, but not since I started talking to plants. There's a tree near my Aikido dojo which I haven't talked to before, but seemed old and wise, and today I discovered that it had been taken down. I was sad to see it gone.

4 comments:

Dalesings said...

I might know what you are saying about the tree, Sarita. Missing its wisdom. Grieving its death, as well as the empty place in you. I'm sorry for you both. And for those who made the decision to remove the tree.

Sarita said...

It could have been sick, or rotting, or something. I don't know. It might have needed to be taken out, it might not have.

Actually, I know that the city it was in requires people to get permission before taking down trees that size. So, there was probably some reason behind it, not just a whim.

Still, I was sort of sad, in spite of knowing there was probably a reason.

mrsb said...

Oh, it just kills me to see healthy trees cut down for no apparent reason! There's a house on my block where just a few weeks ago, they cleared out about 8 tress from their backyard, just to "open it up". I almost cried!

Sarita said...

:(