Saturday, September 5, 2009

A few thingies

First of all, I want to introduce you to Juliet Marillier. She is a fantastic writer, and because her "Sevenwaters" trilogy opened my eyes up to Paganism she has a special place in my heart. Ok, I would have found it anyways, but she just helped me along a bit. :) Marillier grew up on folklore (and a good dose of mythology too, I'd say), and it comes throughstrongly in her writing. Really, I don't know what to say about her, so perhaps I'll let her writing speak for itself.

When I was looking at her website the other day I discovered that she has two short stories that you can read online. Or, you can print them to read at your leisure away from the computer. One is "Let Down Your Hair" which is a lovely twist on the story of Rapunzel. It's a mere eight pages, and is a quick read. Please, look at it! Marillier is an absolutely fantastic writer.

The other story is "Otherling" which I find to be a bit darker than is her norm, but is absolutely fantastic. It's longer than the other (twenty two pages) but is also a quick read. If you like these two, you should read one of her novels.

Secondly, while I'm talking about people, maybe I should mention that there's a new blog: Highschool, my dear Watson. It's written by the daughter of one of my favorite bloggers, and though there are only three posts up in it so far, it promises to be interesting.

Last, I want to share what I've been up to. Tall One commented that the roving (that is, the stuff that's about to be spun) looks like cotton candy. It's half wool and half soy silk, hand painted in China. I don't know what soy silk is, but when you mix it with wool it's fantastic! :D



No comments: