Monday, September 7, 2009

French Fry Fun

Not much is going on, so I was thinking that perhaps I should share funny stories. This is the month of Ramadan, and brings back one particular amusing memory I have.

I was maybe fourteen or so, and I was tending a booth at GirlFest event with some other girls, one of whom happened to be Muslim. Her religion might not be worth noting, except that it was Ramadan at the time, so she was fasting from sun up to sun down.

In spite of knowing that she was fasting I ate my lunch at the booth, where she was. In retrospect that was somewhat insensitive of me because it's easier to fast if you don't think about food, and it's hard to not think about food when someone eating right in front of you. But I didn't realize that at the time, and no one pointed that out to me.

She didn't complain about my eating in front of her, though. In fact, she started hovering over me. I didn't have a problem with her hovering, and it soon became obvious that it wasn't exactly me she was hovering over, but my food. Oh, and she wasn't hovering, either: she was drooling.

Whatever happened to ignoring food to make fasting go easier? Maybe she didn't know it at the time.

It eventually wound up with me handing over one of my french fries. She didn't eat it, but she did sniff it like it was heaven to her. She stood there, holding it with both hands, eyes closed, just smelling. She didn't seem to care that I and a few others were laughing. But, that was typical. She's one of those people who is always doing something or other, and is used to being a source of amusement.

I guess the story loses something in the telling, but it was hilarious.


No comments: