Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Happy day!

Today is 9/9/09. As one person has said (Dale, I'm assuming you don't mind my quoting you):

Re 9/9/09, part of its numerological significance lies in the fact that 9+9+9=27, which reduces to 2+7=9. Furthermore, ANY! number multiplied by 9 yields a result which reduces to 9; for instance, 9x9=81, 8+1=9; or 9x26=234, 2+3+4=9...etc., no matter how large the result, it will ALWAYS reduce to 9.


I'm personally somewhat excited about this day, though not because of the numerological significance, though I think it is worth noting.

The reason I'm excited about this is the day that the PCC campuses become officially smoke free. I've always had a problem with smoking. Ok, so no I don't have a problem with tobacco used ceremonially in religious ceremonies, but that's different. In those cases, it isn't being abused, or inflicted on other people.

And yes, I use the word "inflicted." I have family members who are very much allergic to it, and cannot be near someone who is smoking without taking medication. I'm not allergic, but I hate (I know that's a strong word) it when I find myself breathing second hand smoke, which can even happen inside buildings that are designated as smoke free. You may ask, how does smoke get in there? Well, for one thing people sometimes smoke next to open doors, and the second hand smoke gets wafted in on the breeze. Also, second hand smokes clings to the smoker a full twenty minutes after they put the cigarette out.

And as happy as I am, I'm not celebrating a complete victory yet. For the last year PCC has had designated smoking spots, and everywhere else on the campuses was supposed to be smoke free. Unfortunately, a number of smokers did not follow the rules, and I did not see the rules being enforced. So even though I'm happy about PCC officially going smoke free, I'm somewhat skeptical about how well the rules will be followed, and whether the rules will be enforced.

Still, it's a step in the right direction. Also, people have known that this was coming for a full year, and have hopefully the smokers have prepared themselves for the change.

2 comments:

Dalesings said...

I agree wholeheartedly with the smoking ban, and greatly appreciate your being an advocate for cleaner air, and your willingness to speak out and defend your position.

The significance of the numerology lies beyond the numbers; nine is a number indicating completion, fulfillment. The arithmetic properties of nine simply support and show forth this deeper significance. Incidentally, the Maya know nine as the highest female energy.

Sarita said...

Nine does happen to be one of my favorite numbers, but seven is my top favorite.

Don't ask me why. It just is. I don't even know the numerology stuff behind it.