Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Music therapy

I want to share a little about my Tuesday evening class, which is sort of an overview of music therapy and what it's all about. It's actually what I wanted to talk about in my last post, but couldn't since I really needed a nap.

Our professor talked about different things that music therapy can be used to help, and had us get into groups according to what we were most interested in. The group I chose was neurology, which includes things such as stroke and head trauma . I think I'm most interested in it partially because my dad had a stroke few years back, so I've seen what that can do to a person. I'm also interested in it because, as I've shared in a previous post, I've had head trauma myself. I live with the result of that every day of my life, even though it mostly isn't a problem these days. In fact, I have a language disorder in addition to the speech disorder, but that's for a later post.

Each of our groups will be giving a presentation on our chosen topics, by the way. I'll find out more about that later, though, when the professor hands out the info about what's expected of the presentation.

...and I need to get off the computer right this minute, so that's it for now.

5 comments:

Lyon said...

This sounds fascinating! My ex-husbands father had a few strokes in a row and I watched him go through that struggle. He never recovered full use of his body or his speech. He passed a way several years ago now. He also didn't get the therapy that he needed, but I have to wonder how this may have been able to help him.

Best wishes for your presentation!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds interesting so far, Sarita, hurry back!

Sarita said...

Lyon -- too many people don't get the health care they need. :( My family is lucky in that we have good health care, but I'm painfully aware that not everyone is so fortunate.

Debra -- yes yes I'm hurrying back! This evening I'll talk about donating blood. :)

Anonymous said...

So how is your father now a days? What happened from the stroke? I hope he's ok. =)

Sarita said...

The stroke was a few years ago. It didn't really do much to his mobility, though, which was already not great.

He already had diabetes (along with neuropathy in his feet), and post polio syndrome. Yep, that's right, once you recover from polio it isn't over. It'll come back to haunt you when you're older. He says it's like having polio all over again.

So he's in a lot of pain, spends most of his time in bed, and can't really get out and about. Fortunately he got into amateur radio stuff, so he has a hobby now, and is part of an informal emergency response HAM radio group. That means he has something worthwhile to do, which is good for him.