Monday, September 14, 2009

A new music therapy student

For those who are new here, I'm a music therapist major and am starting my first term at Marylhurst university this fall term. I first auditioned with voice as my main instrument. I had to do three pieces, and accompany myself on one of them. Much to my shock, it was recommended that I switch my main instrument to piano, because they thought it was better.

Now I find myself re-auditioning tomorrow, so that they can evaluate exactly where my piano skills are, and place me where I need to be.

This has been a source of some stress. You see, one of my piano pieces has to be classical. I picked out my classical piece, only to be told by my brother about a week ago that it's actually baroque. I was not pleased. So I switched to a piece I learned ages ago, and brushed the dust off of it. It's a song I like, but truthfully I like the baroque one better. Ah well. They want classical, so I'll give them classical.

As though that's not bad enough, my second piece I'd chosen died. That's the way I think of it: it died. You see, I played it so much that my fingers are now mutinying, and more practice only makes it worse. I've replaced that piece now with May it Be. I like May it Be better anyways, but was refraining from using it because it's the one I accompanied myself on in the vocal audition. Well, since the other one died, I guess I'll get to play my favorite one. :) Even though that's an upside, I'm still irritated about it dying.

And as though that isn't enough fun...

I plan to be in a school choir this term, and I just got an e-mail today that basically said: "We'd like everyone to audition this Wednesday. We understand that not everyone will be able to make it, but please make every effort to do so." I can be there, but this isn't doing anything to help my sanity.

*deep breath*

On an upside, guess what I found? Free sheet music for the following song. I absolutely love the music from Pirates of the Caribbean.

1 comment:

Madam Lost said...

Your song did not die. You murdered it. Not to worry, with the passage of time you can resurrect it.