Thursday, September 24, 2009

Page 5 of 4

No, the title of this post is not due to dyslexia (even though I am dyslexic). It's at the top of the last page of one of my syllabi. The professor, my classmates, and I had a good laugh at it, so I figured I'd share it here. I think it's a good sign that things will be interesting at my university. :)

The classes were fun, and there were some other new music therapy majors who shared all my classes. It was rather exciting to meet the people who I'll be earning my degree alongside. If only I'd been able to talk more! Sometime next week I'll get my voice back, and they'll be wondering how I suddenly got so talkative. lol

I talked a little today, but as I said before I mostly keeping quiet. I did chat a little before the first class, I clarified during attendance that Sarita is my preferred name (it isn't my legal name, so things can get interesting), I answered some questions, asked some of my own, and when we got to the singing parts -- in two different classes -- I explained that I am absolutely not singing today because my voice is recovering. But I didn't talk nearly as much as I wanted to.

I also found out today that one of my fellow students who's also going after a music therapy degree is blind. That got me to thinking about how I communicate. I don't tend to think about it, but I rely very very heavily on body language to express myself. Only problem is, body language doesn't work when the person you're talking to is blind! So talking to her kept me on my toes.

I'm sitting here, looking at this post, and I can only think of one word to describe it: rambling. That's three rambling posts this week, I think. Hopefully my writing will smooth out once I've settled into being a student at a university.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Rambling is still interesting! I love hearing about your classes. I remember how wonderful it was to start university for the first time, when everything was new and fresh and exciting -- so I'm reliving my youth vicariously by reading your blog, Sarita!

Sarita said...

Yay! Nice to know I'm helping people relive nice times. :)