Thursday, September 24, 2009

"To hear, one must be silent."

I survived my first day of classes at Marylhurst. Wow.

I just want to say, right now, that I weighed my textbooks immediately after I got home. They weigh 11 pounds, all together. I kid you not. I would like to thank whoever is responsible for the creation of rolling backpacks.

I'm pretty much recovered from my fight with the flu (which I'm guessing is what I was sick with) except for my throat. It isn't nearly as painful as it was, and in fact feels much better than it did even yesterday. However, I'm still finding it somewhat difficult to speak. I mean, I can, but then this weird sort of half voice comes out of my mouth, and I'm like "Is that me???" Yes, unfortunately it is me.

So, I minimizing how much I talk, as best I can. Talking isn't half as painful as it was even yesterday, but that itself could be a danger. What if I over work my vocal chords too soon and hurt them? I haven't asked a doctor or a vocal instructor about this, so for all I know there may be no need to worry, but to stay on the safe side I'm attempting to limit how much I talk.

This has resulted in me thinking on something said in one of my favorite books written by Ursula K. le Guin: "To hear, one must be silent." And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to put into words what I want to say about it. lol Ah well.

I'll write more later. :) I just wanted to get this down since it was a huge impact on my day.

No comments: