Sunday, October 4, 2009

Coping with ADHD

There are a few challenges that ADHD presents, but the main one I have to deal with is my attention span. Sometimes it's no problem. Sometimes it's a bit of a problem. Occasionally it's a huge problem -- one time I had just gotten a hold of a book by one of my favorite authors, was super excited about it, but could hardly get through the first paragraph. In that case I was frustrated but could wait to read it later (even if I wasn't happy about waiting). Sometimes it's schoolwork that I can't concentrate on. In those cases I can't really wait, and as such have had to find ways to cope.

This is actually what I had wanted to talk about yesterday, but I wound up talking about something else. So, today I am sharing some of the different things that I have found help me to focus.

1) Listening to music. I used to just put on a CD, and will still do that, but I've also discovered the joys of YouTube. I recently put together a play list of songs that I think will be particularly good for when I'm having trouble focusing.



I'll add more songs as I go along, and might wind up removing one or two. We'll see.

2) Frequent brief breaks.

3) Listening to an audio book that I'm very familiar with. Believe it or not, this can be a huge help when I'm trying to write an essay or read. It sounds strange, and it seems strange even to me, but it does help. When I do this I generally listen either to the "Abhorsen" trilogy by Garth Nix, or "Inheritance Cycle" by Christopher Paolini.

4) Exercise.

5) .......?

I'm sure I have more tricks, but I can't seem to remember them. Ah well. Numbers one through three are what I do most often when I'm having trouble, though. Music is what I typically like to use to cope with attention problems, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes it is actually counter productive, and rather than helping me focus on writing or whatever it is I'm doing for school, I find myself singing along to the music instead. When that happens I move on, and try some other trick.

I don't seem to have much trouble with concentration when the schoolwork is to practice music, however. :)

No comments: