Monday, October 12, 2009

How I found music therapy

I don't think I've shared how I discovered music therapy.

I discovered it last fall term, in a Bible as literature class. (Yes, a Pagan studying the Bible. So what?) My mom had suggested music therapy as a career to me before, but it wasn't really real to me, so I didn't pay much attention to her suggestion. I didn't know where I wanted to go in my life, but I planned to double major in English and religious studies. I love those subjects, figured they would take me someplace interesting, and planned to pursue my love of music non-professionally. Coincidentally, the university I was looking at applying to happened to be Marylhurst.

I was also interested in the health care, but I had no interest in being a nurse or doctor. Nothing against those jobs, they just aren't for me. It somehow never occurred to me that I could be a psychologist or something else like that.

Then, as a guest speaker, the Bible as literature professor brought in a music thanatologist -- a music therapist who specializes with people who are dying or who know they have a terminal disease.

This may seem like a strange choice for a guest speaker in a Bible as literature class, but in a way it isn't. The Bible actually talks about people being cured or soothed by way of music. Hence, the music therapist.

She shared how she discovered her path (she saw something on TV), sang and played her harp for us, and talked a little about her work.

I knew then that music therapy is what I want to do with my life.

So now, a year later, I'm at Marylhurst University. But rather than double majoring in English and religious studies as I had originally planned, I'm in the music therapy program. That's not to say that I've abandoned my books and my love of learning about religions, it's just that I'll pursue those interests outside of my professional life.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Isn't it funny how life works sometimes!

Sarita said...

Yes it is. :D