Friday, October 9, 2009

Piano and music stuff

I had my first piano lesson at Marylhurst yesterday. I now have two new songs that I am working on, which I've shared here.



Of course I'm not doing the above one with a full orchestra, but this is what I found on youtube. I've got to say, I love the photos provided, and that they go through the full circle of the seasons.



Tall One plays this rag, by the way, and I got the music from him.

Yes, in addition to playing the bagpipes, Tall One also plays piano. He's better than me at it, and I've gone to him for help in trying to figure out rhythms on the Serenade piece.

My going to him for help on rhythms led to a discussion about compound meter versus simple meter. I don't know how many times I've had them explained to me, but I still can't say what is what, or explain them. I'm still unsure, but I'm closer to understanding now than I was before.

Afterwards, Tall One said that our discussion reminded him of a certain scene from The Court Jester. And since I'm apparently going nuts with youtube this evening, lol, I'll share that scene. It's the first half of the following clip.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When you said The Tall One plays the Maple Leaf Rag, I assumed you meant on the bagpipes! Hey, he should try it!

Sarita said...

Hmm, now there's a thought...he'd have to alter some of the notes, though, since he wouldn't be able to play certain notes that go out of the key it's written in. Bagpipes are wonderful, but they also have their limitations. But every instrument does, I think.

He's already figured out how to play part of another rag on his pipes. I think it was The Entertainer. :)