Monday, October 5, 2009

Samhain


My Pagan followers will know all about Samhain, but my non-Pagan followers probably don't. Since it's coming up this month, and I'm getting excited, I think I should tell a little about it.

Ask any Pagan and most likely they'll tell you that they consider Samhain to be the most important of our holidays, and that it is also their favorite. And by the way, its date is October 31st.

Yep, it's the Pagan holiday that we get our modern Halloween traditions are from. It's the time of year when the veil is thinnest between the worlds, which is why Halloween is supposed to be spooky. Because it's when the veil is thinnest, it is also the time when we honor those who have passed away.

Don't ask me where the trick-or-treating comes from, though, because I don't know. All I can tell you is that I like it! :D

I know that there have been a few who have questioned whether or not Pagans should have fun with Halloween stuff, since Halloween is sort of a "rip off" if you well of our beliefs. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Things evolve, and yes in some cases they evolve in a bad way, but I don't think there's anything wrong with Samhain turning into Halloween. Truthfully, I expect that I'll be handing out candy to trick-or-treaters this year.

4 comments:

Lyon said...

I don't know but it seems to me anyone that has a problem with Halloween, be they Pagan or Christian or whatever just has a huge stick up their butt. ;-)

Rachel James said...

I was trying to comment earlier, but couldn't. Anyway, what I was saying. I read that the tradition of trick or treating had something to do with dressing in costumes to either represent the dead or to confuse them so they would leave you alone. The treats were representative of "gifts" to the spirits. Old folk customs have a way of lingering around for a really long time.

Sarita said...

I knew about the costumes, but not about the treats. Thank you! :D

Jupiter Greenmoone said...

I think Halloween and Samhain are fantastic! We can try to remember the customs of old, but the fact is, we are in the here and now. Some things will change and I will do my best to blend the old with the new.