Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sweet Adelines

Have you heard of Sweet Adelines? (If you've been following my blog for several months the answer had better be yes.) It's an organization of women who sing Barbershop music, a style of music which I posted about last month.

Every year hundreds (or more) of Sweet Adelines gather together for an international competition. It's a blast. Unfortunately I won't be there this year -- darned school schedule and lack of money! lol Ah well. Fortunately, however, they do a live webcast of the competition. If my schedule allows, I plan to watch some of my favorite choruses and quartets, and I think you can safely expect me to blog about it some.

Oh, I haven't even mentioned when it is yet, have I? The competitions go from the 20th to the 24th this month. The first two days are the semi-finals, where all the choruses and quartets (on separate days) compete with two songs: an up-tune and a ballad. Then on the final two days the top ten (again the choruses and quartets are on separate days) do their finals package. This is different from the semi-finals because they have about eleven minutes for their package, and as such can do more than just their two competition songs, which again are an up-tune and a ballad.

In particular I'm looking forward to seeing how the quartet Paper Dolls does at internationals. This year they strolled into our region (Sweet Adelines is separated into fifty or so regions which have their own regional competitions, and the winners of those competitions get to go to internationals) and took first place. They're a rather unique quartet because their tenor is a seven year old! Take a look at this video of them.



They are amazing, and their tenor will be the first seven year old to compete at our internationals. I'm rather curious to see how they'll do. But I've already said that, haven't I? :)

The thing is, even though their tenor is cute as heck, her voice doesn't blend with the mature women's voices, which results in the quartet being heavier on the tenor than is normal for the Barbershop style. However, she sings so well that she makes up for the lack of blend. Oh, and one of the other quartet members (the bari) is her mom, so their voices probably fit together better than if the seven year old weren't related to anyone in the quartet.

I can't wait to see how things go. By the way, you can find the Sweet Adelines International website here. The link for the webcast is on their homepage, and I highly encourage you to check out the competitions!

ps. I'm trying to bear in mind that I'm speaking to people who aren't total Barbershop nuts like I am, and am attempting to alter my language and explain certain things (like how competitions work) accordingly. If I've left you confused, let me know, and I'll try to clarify! am more than happy to talk about this subject. :D

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi Sarita -- There's an Over the Top blog award waiting for you at my blog today, if you're interested in picking it up! Your love of Barbershop music is only one of the ways you are Over the Top!

Sarita said...

Wow oh wow...thank you! :D