Monday, October 26, 2009

Volunteering

Apparently Obama has called on people to do volunteer work. I somehow missed it, but I figured out that something was going on when about half of the comic strips in my newspaper started talking about volunteer stuff.

Getting into the spirit of Obama's suggestion, I'd just like to say that I have been volunteering at my local library for the past couple years -- as those who have been following my blog for a while will know. These days I pull holds on two mornings each week, and mend books one afternoon each week. When school is out, I volunteer more than three days a week at my library. (I confess, part of why I volunteer in the morning is to make sure I don't sleep in until noon.) In the past I have shelved books and shelf read.

It really is great to volunteer. Not only do you get to give back to the community, but you also get something out of it. Exactly what you get out of it depends, though, according to what it is you're doing. In the library I get to see more cool books -- which does have the downside of too many books and too little time -- and I got to learn how to mend books, which is a skill I'll have with my all my life.

If you want to volunteer but aren't sure where to look or get started, I'd suggest Serve.gov. I found it when I did a Google search trying to figure out what's been going on with all the recent stuff about volunteering.

No comments: