Sunday, November 8, 2009

Group project

I mentioned early in the term that I'll be doing a group project, and one of my followers said they'd love to hear more about it.

My group -- which is three people, including myself -- will be doing a presentation on neurology stuff. This means we'll be talking about strokes, head trauma, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases (the text book groups those two together), and multiple sclerosis. Fun stuff. Well, fun to learn about, anyways. I don't think that having any of those conditions would be any fun at all.

In addition to our presentation we'll be doing a mock music therapy session. This means we get to decide what kind of patient we want to work with, what the individual's difficulties are, get a volunteer from the class to play the part, and then do the mock music therapy session in front of the entire class.

The most fun part of this, I think, is making up the patient. I'm writing a brief paper about the patient but of course, the other group members get to have input. The result is a quite interesting individual that I'm writing about.

This individual is a rock star, is into heavy metal, and had a stroke onstage in front of his fans. He also does drugs and is depressed. After the stroke, he:

~ Has trouble walking
~ Has trouble moving the right side of his body
~ Has a visual impairment (Oh no! I forgot to put that in the paper! I need to fix that and re-send it to the others in my group for them to look at...)
~ Dysarthria -- meaning he has trouble speaking, and the cause is that he has trouble physically moving his mouth/tongue/etc. as he needs to
~ Depression and anger

So, this is quite an interesting individual to write about. Also quite interesting is that I found myself using words in the paper that my spell checker doesn't like: dysarthria and hemiplegia.

Oh yes, and guess what? We'll be using heavy metal in our mock therapy session. I've had nothing to do with that kind of music, so when my classmate said he wanted to use it I said "Ok, fine. But that means you pick out the music we use."

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Do you have theatre students at your university? Playing these roles could be good field practice for them too!

Sarita said...

Hmm, I don't even know if we have a theatre program...

I do know that we have some performance majors who are taking this class. Acting is sort of part of performing, so this would probably be good for them. I hadn't thought of it that way before! :)

Lyon said...

This is fascinating. I could see considering the patient's background why you'd want to use heavy metal, but is heavy metal typical music in this type of therapy?

Sarita said...

I don't think so, but then again this is only my first term of studying music therapy. Anyways, I know that what the patient likes is taken into account. If someone really doesn't like heavy metal, or has a strong preference for something else, I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't be used.

We'll see what the professor says about our use of it. lol