Friday, November 20, 2009

Lactose intolerant?

When I was little I would start of my mornings by watching Gummy Bears while drinking instant breakfast. For those who don't know, instant breakfast is a yummy yummy and healthy way to start off your day. It is a powder that has all kinds of nutrients and vitamins, and you put it in milk that has lots of protein. Really good.

I eventually stopped watching Gummy Bears but I continued drinking instant breakfast. And even if I didn't have the instant breakfast, I still had a cup of milk sometime or other during my day. That was just how it was.

Now, after years and years of drinking milk and being used to starting off my day with a cup of it, guess what? I feel sick if I drink it.

I am not pleased.

FYI -- this rant was induced today because I tried drinking a cup of milk this morning. Yeah, I know it wasn't smart of me, but I somehow thought that it would be ok. But guess what? It wasn't ok.

I was complaining about it to my mom (who isn't at work today because she's sick) about it and asked "What is this called? Lactose intolerant?" She replied "No, it's not lactose intolerant. It is spelled s-t-u-p-i-d." I guess she sort of has a point. I ought to have known better than to drink a cup of milk this morning. She did also point out that my body might simply be responding this way to milk due to stress, and that I might not actually be lactose intolerant.

So am I lactose intolerant? I don't know. All I know is that I can't drink a cup of milk anymore, and that I am not happy about it.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sorry to hear about your upset stomach. Have you tried taking Lactaid before drinking milk? Or maybe mix your instant breakfast with soy milk or rice milk instead!

Sarita said...

I hadn't even heard of Lactaid before. I'll have to take a look at that.

I hadn't thought of trying to mix it with soy milk or rice milk before. Hmm... Of course, that might not be a solution. My brother has always had trouble with milk, and he has the same trouble with soy milk (and rice milk I think?) that he has with regular milk. Regardless, I'll have to see if that works for me. Thanks! :)