Sunday, November 8, 2009

Music journal!

*gasp* I didn't listen to Christmas music yesterday! Can you believe it?


November 7th, 2009


What: My brother playing the harmonica

When:
In the morning, just before I got out of bed

Why:
Because he felt like playing it

Effect:
It took me by surprise because he only recently picked up this instrument, and I'm still getting used to hearing him play it. I liked hearing it, and it was something to listen to as I woke up.



What: The entire CD of The Best of Peter Paul and Mary

When:
Early afternoon

Why:
I felt like it

Effect:
I enjoyed it, and wound up writing a blog post about "Puff the Magic Dragon": http://collegegirlsdays.blogspot.com/2009/11/puff-magic-dragon.html



What: "Puff the Magic Dragon" -- A live recording on YouTube of Peter Paul and Mary singing the song. I listened to it several times.

When:
Early afternoon

Why:
Because I wanted to write about the song on my blog, and it only made sense for me to post a recording of the song I was writing about.

Effect:
I found a different version than was on the CD, and was delighted with what I found. It also reminded me of the fact that recordings of live performances can be rather different than recordings made in a studio.



What: A few Barbershop songs, and one four part harmony a cappella song which may or may not have been Barbershop

When:
Late afternoon

Why:
A facebook friend shared them

Effect:
Puzzlement over whether or not one of the songs is actually Barbershop



What: The entire CD of The Best of Simon and Garfunkel twice in a row

When:
Evening

Why:
Because I felt like it

Effect:
I quite enjoyed it. It also reminded me of a fellow student who had wanted to listen to this CD in her car but had to borrow a car without a CD player, and so couldn't.

No comments: