Monday, November 16, 2009

A professor who had an impact on me

As I said in a recent post, it was an English professor who opened up my eyes to music therapy. What I didn't mention is that when I was taking a winter class from him, he was diagnosed with lymphoma. In fact, if you take a look at the posts with the label English you can see how it progresses, starting from where he comes into class and writes "professor has no voice" on the board due to laryngitis, to the class having a substitute professor, to the substitute becoming permanent, and finally his diagnosis.

About a week ago I e-mailed this professor to let him know that, thanks to him, I am now in the music therapy program at Marylhurst. I wasn't sure if he would remember me, but he did. :) In the e-mail I also mentioned that I hoped he was doing better than he was last winter term, and was not happy with the update I had on his condition.

He had returned to teaching in the summer term, which was good, and what was expected. What isn't good is that he had a relapse and had to stop teaching again just a few weeks into this term. When I heard back from him, he said that he had just come out of spending four days at a hospital for chemo therapy.

I'm sure this can go into remission, and hopefully stay in remission this time. I told him I'd pray for him. I am asking Taliesin, who as a bard I would expect to have an interest in this professor who teaches English, and Brighid, a healer, to look after him.

No comments: