Sunday, November 22, 2009

Rap

Mom told the rest of the family over dinner this evening, "Sarita proved that she wasn't raised Catholic." At first I was clueless. Then she told me: I told a nun that she was wrong today. Apparently that's a big no-no for anyone raised Catholic.

Today I went to a recital at Marylhurst university, and mom was with me. Remember, it's a Catholic school, and was founded by nuns. There don't seem to be many nuns there any more, but there are still a few, and one was in charge of the recital today.

We were talking before the recital, and the nun referenced some music that she considered to basically be trash. What was the music? Rap.

I'm no fan of rap. I've only heard one rap song that I could enjoy, and everything else I was like "Oh my gosh I really can't wait for the song to be over..." Nothing against it, it's just something that really is not my style.

But when the nun totally dismissed rap as basically garbage, I had to speak up. "Actually, I'm doing a report on a study that was done on rap music. Yes, it does have negative sides, but it can also be really good. It's something that some people relate to, and they listen to it as a way to relax and calm down."

Of course there's more to the study, but that's all I said to her.

I suspect I could happily go my entire life without hearing rap again (though I admit to being curious enough after reading the study that I just might look up some songs on YouTube), but I couldn't stand by and say nothing when I heard it being casually dismissed.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

LOL, good for you!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Well done! I'm sooooo proud of you!!

I'm the same when it comes to rap, the majority gives me headaches and I just can't enjoy it, but there is a song or two or three... that really hit home and are in my playlist. I would have asked the nun how much rap has she listened to and what was her foundation to dismiss it.

There a lot of things I don't like, but I would never put everything else that might be similar to it and push it out of my life. If that was the case, I would already stop thinking that Jesus was not as good as Christians proclaim or would have any Christian friends. The Gods know that's not the case.

Did I tell you that I'm extremely proud of you?

Hugs ;)

Sarita said...

Thanks. :)

Sarita said...

If I were to look up rap on YouTube, what songs/bands would you recommend I take a look at?