Monday, November 2, 2009

Saving kittens

Today I was walking to the library with a friend of mine when I happened to notice a kitten on a leash. I'm a cat person so of course I was interested -- and anyways it's not every day you see someone walking their cat -- so I paused to get a better look at the kitten.

I petted the kitten a little when she wandered over to me, and the person on the other end of the leash told my friend and me "We found her and some of her litter mates in a box. She was the only one alive. She's four weeks old, and I took her in to get her shots today."

When I heard the kitten's story I felt a couple of emotions. One of the emotions was sadness. How can people treat animals like that? Would it be so much trouble to just drop them off at an animal shelter? Or what about a pet store? Either one would have been better than just dumping the kittens on the street in a box.

The other emotion I felt was joy that there are people who will look after animals in need. I expect he saved that kitten's life when he took her home.



(By the way, yes, I know that it's not good for cats to play with yarn balls. My family used to have a cat who had to have some removed from his intestines, and it was not a pleasant experience for the cat. But kitties with yarn make nice pictures, so that's why I'm using it.) (Wait a minute, am I actually writing a disclaimer for a picture I'm using...?)

6 comments:

Term Papers said...

I love cats but kittens are more prettier than cats.Now coming to the point yes!we do need to save them.

Carrie said...

Aw, poor babies. :( At least one was savead though. Thanks for posting! :)

Sarita said...

It still makes me sad to think that her litter mates died. But she looked like she bounced back to health really well. If I hadn't been told her history I would have guessed that she'd spent her entire four weeks of life in someone's warm home.

Clandestiny said...

I came to your blog via Carrot Speak. I'm really happy to find another animal lover blogging not to mention a fellow Pagan!! I ran an all inclusive animal rescue for many years and dumping a not even old enough to be weaned litter of kittens is not even close to the awful things people do to animals every day :( Children and animals are innocent and should be protected by all. Sadly that very innocence seems to make them even more sought after targets for predators and those that just plain don't care.

Jupiter Greenmoone said...

That's horrible. I don't understand people. Who is capable of such a thing? It makes me want to cry. I'm glad that kitty was saved though :)

Sarita said...

Some people are just nasty that way. It's so so sad.

Clandestiny, if you take a look at my "Button Exchange" you'll find other Pagan blogs. I originally meant this to be a blog mostly about college stuff, but the Pagan part of me seems to have taken over, and it's fellow Pagans I mostly connect with here. lol (Also it seems like it's only the the Pagan blogs I fellow that do button exchange...)