Friday, December 4, 2009

Get your sleep while you can!

As I mentioned in my last post, I am sleep deprived at the moment. I was thinking about this as I got up this morning (at almost noon -- I slept in) and I remembered something from my childhood that I figured people here might find amusing.

I was about ten years old, give or take, and I had discovered the joys of reading. I had a habit of staying up past my bedtime so that I could read, and I remember that this particular time I was reading by the light of my fish tank.

Mom caught me, and wanted to know what I was doing. Guess what I told her? "I'm practicing for college, when I'll have to stay up late studying." Seriously, that's what I told her. I'm pretty sure that's also what I was even thinking when I decided to read by the light of my fish tank.

I don't remember what she said to me. She probably just told me to put my book down and go to sleep. What she should have told me, though, was "Get your sleep while you can!"

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ha ha, pretty quick thinking on your part!

Sarita said...

Actually I was used to coming up with excuses for staying up late, and I probably had that one planned for in case I was caught read handed.

Joe Iriarte said...

That's hysterical!

Sarita said...

:) I have more than a few memories of staying up late, or trying to. I'm just naturally a night person.

Of course, once I became an adult my mother told me that she would set my bedtime earlier than she really wanted me to go to sleep, and then LET me read a bit past bedtime. She's tricky like that!