Thursday, December 31, 2009

New years

For the past several years I've felt like Yule was the start of a new year. At the same time, I've also felt like Samhain was the end of the year. (Samhain is October 31st and is traditionally the Pagan new year, for those of you new to this blog and who don't know about Paganism.)

I've been unable to reconcile these two feelings. They seem strange. I mean, if Yule is the start of the new year, and Samhain is the end, what's the season in between them? A time out of time? Hey, "time out of time" sounds sort of poetic actually...

I don't know of any Pagan tradition which agrees with me on this. And I keep going back to the question, what would the time between Samhain and Yule be? I can't answer that.

This is something I've sort of been thinking about since Yule, when I realized that I can't deny that I feel like this, and am really pondering it now that we've gotten to the secular new year.

Does anyone know of any Pagan tradition that agrees with me on this? It seems like a bizarre idea, that Yule is the beginning of the new year but that Samhain is the end, and the time in between is...something else? But it somehow feels right. And thinking about it I've become really curious if anyone else also feels like this.

To celebrate the secular new year my mom has decided to have a Pirates of the Caribbean marathon. But then it turns out that we supposedly watched the first movie a few weeks ago (neither Tall One or I remember this) so she wanted to just watch the last two. Tall One and I pointed out to her that a marathon means watching all the movies, and I pointed out that the first movie is the only one that I really think is great, so we're watching all of them tonight.

Happy new year! :)

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Avast, ye swabs! Aaarrgh, Happy New Year to ye! [my rotten pirate imitation]

Lyon said...

A large chunk of Pagans that I know, in fact, do you view that Samhain is the spiritual New Year, but view the time between Samhain and Yule as being an in-between time. Some traditions view it as the time of the Lord of Misrule, others view it as the time when the Wild Hunt rides, among many other mish mashes of ideas.

Sarita said...

Thanks, Lyon. :) Either I hadn't read that before, or I didn't pay much attention to it at the time.