Monday, December 21, 2009

Yule 2009

I stayed up all night with the fire, and then I slept through the entire day. Whew. So now I think I'm going to just ramble about odds and ends connected to Yule.

For about an hour (or longer?) I tended the fire last night. This was quite something, because in the past the fire usually tried to die on me when I tended it. Of course, I did have help this time, because mom and Tall One were around for consultation if I was unsure what the fire needed.

I'm thinking that I ought to light several fires this winter so that I can learn more about fire tending. Maybe that should be a new year resolution? I have done those in the last couple of years, but perhaps it's time to change that.

Anyways, I was under the impression that the fire had to be kept roaring. This resulted in me using a lot of wood while I was tending it, and unfortunately someone hadn't bought enough wood for that. I'm just glad that I handed the task of keeping the fire going over when I did, or else we might have run out of wood.

Even though we did have enough wood to last through the whole night, we did discuss the possibility of switching over to a duraflame log if we were to run out of wood. Tall One and I agreed that this seemed a little blasphemous (we laughed at that word) but that if necessary we would.

Oh yes, and dad even spent some time by the fire with us. That was a bit of a surprise to me, actually.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Everyone loves a good fire! Looking into the flames, feeling the heat, hearing the snap and crackle -- terrific! Just don't become an arsonist.

Sarita said...

lol Trust me, I won't become an arsonist. :)

Travis Erwin said...

Yesterday was my birthday so I stayed up later than I should have as well.

Sarita said...

Happy birthday! I hope it was a fun one. :D