Friday, January 1, 2010

Going no poo

Remember I was talking about going "no poo," but then my hair turned absolutely hideous so I gave in and washed it thoroughly with shampoo on Christmas? At the time I said that going no poo probably isn't for me, but I'm rethinking it.

You see, I didn't wash my hair at all between Christmas and today. But did my hair get super oily? No. It got a little oily, but not enough to really bother me.

When I washed it today I just rinsed it with water while brushing it to hopefully encourage the oil to rinse out, and then used conditioner on it. It's almost dry now, and even though it's still slightly oily it feels soft and looks nice.

I think it was the baking soda I was using on my hair that turned it hideous. It seems to work for other people, judging from the fact that I found it suggested in several places online, but it obviously doesn't work for me.

I'm sorry if I'm boring anyone by talking about my hair, but if it keeps going like this and I can get away with only washing it once a week without it getting really oily on me I will be very very happy. :D

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

No poo for you, Saritoo!

Sarita said...

:)

Maureen said...

I've heard about his "no poo" idea. A girl I know is currently doin' it and she loves it. I personally use LUSH. Their shampoo bars are the best and leave my hair feeling awesome!

Sarita said...

Hmm, I might look into LUSH if I start using shampoo again. Thanks!

Tricia said...

It takes time for your hair to get used to no poo because the chemicals in shampoo strip your hair of their natural oils which cases your scalp to want to produce more to compensate. Also, if you naturally have really oily scalp then using conditioner is likely to make it worse, because it's supposed to be moisturizing (only needed for dry hair, or because we dry out our hair with shampoo so much)

Let me see if I can dig up the thread on this, this was a long ongoing conversation on one of my bellydance tribes a while back and they had MANY recommendations including diluted apple viniger...

original link: http://dancemakeup.tribe.net/thread/8cb6a64e-235a-4e57-8568-3654d36605c6

someone asking about it later:
http://dancemakeup.tribe.net/thread/fe6d5444-8568-4538-a820-70595e9782b6

Sarita said...

Thank you! I already knew most of those details, except for the conditioner making it worse. I have mixed a vinegar thingy I made (one part vinegar, five parts water, 1 teaspoon (though it should have been 1/2 teaspoon) vanilla, and one cinnamon stick) and I'll start using that I think. I'll also take a look at the links, which should provide even more new info to me.

Thanks again! :)

Maureen said...

LUSH has more then just shampoo too. You should look into them. They make all their stuff by hand and 100%. Lip balm, cream, bubble bath... It's all awesome!

Sarita said...

I just glanced at their website and I like it. I'm now a fan of theirs on facebook, and I'll probably try out one of their products sometime. Thanks!

I'll probably try some lip balm, since I tend to use chap stick a lot...hmm.... :)