Sunday, January 10, 2010

A homeschool field trip

In one of my classes we're talking all about how people learn. As I was going through the assigned reading last evening I couldn't help but think of my mom's approach to homeschooling, and one moment in particular.

Mom, Tall One and I were on vacation in redwood forests. (Due to his disabilities dad isn't able to go vacationing with us.) It was a lot of fun. We were hiking, looking at the trees, watching the sun set over the ocean, and learning all kinds of cool things about redwood trees. For example, did you know that it takes a forest fire to open up the cones containing their seeds? So even though forest fires destroy so much, they also bring life. We learned all kinds of other cool things, too.

One evening after I'd been looking at the trees on the campground we were staying at something occurred to me, and I turned to mom. "Wait a minute, this is not just a vacation! This is also a school field trip!!!"

I didn't hold it against her, though. I regarded it as just more proof that homeschooling is the way to go for me.

It's funny, but even though I'm in college now, I still think of myself as a homeschooler. On one hand it feels weird to still think of myself that way, but on the other hand I was homeschooled from near the end of 3rd grade through graduation from 12th grade. So may it isn't so strange after all.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Successful college or other post-secondary studies require the student to have lots of personal initiative and motivation and the ability to inquire and learn on their own. I think your homeschooling has probably prepared you very well for that.

Sarita said...

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it in those terms before.