Thursday, January 7, 2010

I'm not taking THOSE meds again

First of all, my foot is feeling better. Secondly...

Remember the doctor gave me some medication for my sprained foot? It had some rather odd side effects. Most of them I'd be willing to live with while the foot heals, but definitely not one of them.

You see, I kept having out of body experiences yesterday.

After about six hours of feeling like I had been pulled out of my body numerous times (but I could still function perfectly well while this was happening) I finally realized that it could be connected to the medication. So I read the info that came with the meds.

First I discovered that I'm not supposed to drive until I know the effects of the medicine on my body. I hadn't been told that. It wasn't an issue for me since I don't drive anyways, but the pharmacist didn't know that and I think he should have told me.

I also found out that change of vision is a possible side effect, and that if my vision changes I need to call the doctor immediately. That was another symptom of mine (though I'd thought that I was imagining things before I read the info on the medication), so I called the nurse, and was told to stop taking it. I'm rather glad that they don't want me to take it, because I didn't want to get into an argument over it.

I guess I'm officially allergic to a medication now.

Another side effect was tiredness. I only mention this because this morning I wound up telling one of my professors that I'd had trouble keeping my eyes open in his previous class, and that if I left during his next class (I have three classes back to back with this professor) that it would be because I needed a nap. Fun fun fun! I did wake up, fortunately, and didn't need the nap. In a way it seems sort of funny to me to have told a professor that I might need to leave his class to take a nap. I did tell him that it was due to medication, so he knows it's not his teaching that was putting me to sleep! lol

Yet another side effect seems to be hiccups. I kid you not. I'm hiccuping randomly now, and fairly frequently too. It's not a case of the hiccups -- it's just this random hiccup here and there. *hiccup* This used to be quite normal for me, but not these days!

Anyways, I thought I would just share the fun of a new medication.

Oh yeah...this evening I found out that mom had told a co-worker about this medication and my out of body experiences. His response was "Doesn't she know that some people pay good money for that kind of thing?"

4 comments:

Maureen said...

I hate medication for that reason, especially pain meds. The military passes 'em out like candy. I never take any kind of medication if I can help it. If it isn't pain for surgery, I can usually avoid it. I'm glad you are off it though and happy to hear your foot is doing better. :)

Dalesings said...

BOO! (Still hiccuping?)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes and don't operate any heavy machinery either, like backhoes or snowplows. Just in case you were thinking of doing that.

Sarita said...

lol The thought of driving even a car is scary. You can bet I won't be driving a backhoe or a snowplow! At least, not unless I was in the middle of an empty parking lot, where I couldn't do any harm. Then I might have some fun. :)

Yes I'm still hiccuping. But it's not so bad. I used to hiccup like this day in day out for several years, to the point where Hiccup became a nickname of mine. So I'm just used to it. It's funny and bizarre that the medication brought it back.