Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My exciting day

I've had a loooooooooong day, and it's not over yet. I still have lotsa homework. So I'll try to keep this brief -- or anyways, I won't spend much time worrying about correcting grammar.

Last night I found a lump in my breast. I figured it wasn't anything to worry about, but I called the advising nurse first thing in the morning. After a ten minute wait I finally got to talk to a human. Eventually I got an appointment scheduled for today. I was lucky because the first time they gave me didn't interfere with work or school. That was nice.

So then I had to wait until the appointment time. I had a horrible time focusing in class, and was feeling queasy. You see, I had already made up my mind that it was nothing to worry about and my head believed it, but my gut didn't believe my head. So even though I wasn't worried (ha) I was really really worried. If that makes sense.

Why is there so much hype about breast cancer? Most of the lumps people find in their breasts are no big deal. In spite of knowing that, I still spent over seven hours today worried sick about cancer (even though I had decided that the lump was nothing to worry about) and having trouble focusing in school. And of course when I got to my job which is all hands on and virtually no thinking, I had too much time to think which wasn't really so great.

Fortunately the doctor told me it's nothing to worry about. The lump is actually just above the breast, not technically in it. (That was news to my mom and me -- we'd thought that part of the body was part of the breast. It's a part that shows when cleavage shows.) So, no worries.

Actually, she told me that she didn't feel anything where I felt a lump. I wasn't sure what to make of that, but mom translated her words as meaning "I just felt muscle and normal stuff, nothing out of the ordinary." Ok, I guess...

Please forgive any grammar or punctuation errors. I still have lotsa homework and don't want to edit. I just wanted to blog because....well....sometimes writing things down can help me calm down. That's the best I can explain it. So it was either my diary or my blog. With my blog I can interact with other people which is really really nice when I'm writing stuff that I don't mind the world seeing, and it's also faster to type things up than to write them down by hand.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sorry to hear you had such a scare! But it's good to check these things out. Hope your week improves now!

Sarita said...

Well, it did improve slightly...sorta...