Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ramblings of a crazed college kid

First I want to start off by saying something that's been going through my head all day.

I turn 21 in exactly two months!!!

Ok, now that's out of my system. lol

Someone asked if I've got any big plans. I said "Well, from the times my parents have let me taste alcohol I know I don't like it. So mom and I were joking that she would take me to a bar to buy me beer, and that when I didn't like it she would drink it." I did add that in reality she thinks I might like mead, so we'll see how that goes over.

I don't know what it is about turning 21 that's got me so happy and anticipating it. The only real difference is that I'll be able to buy alcohol, and that's not something I'm even really interested in. Maybe it's just that it's a cool number? I dunno.

I also wanted to share that I won a game of banagrams recently! It's a game "Santa" gave us for Christmas, and it's similar to scrabble. It's not one I'd expected to win. I was so happy that I took a photo, and I'm such a nut that I'm sharing it here. lol And yes, you'll find each of those words in the dictionary. I can't remember offhand what all of them mean...but they're there. ;)

Lastly, I want to share a brilliant idea. It's something that a classmate of mine thought up last term, and I finally decided to do last evening.

We have three big books that we have to take with us to class, and not very many of their pages are in the syllabi. The books are big, and they're heavy. And, they are easily disassembled. Reassembling them is slightly harder, though, if you try to put them back together the way they started (which is what my classmate did). But I don't care about putting them back in their original condition -- I just want something that works, and I am more than happy to use needle and yarn.

I was so delighted with my efforts that I took photos, including the one below. What I'll be carrying around in my backpack is to the right in the photo. What I will NOT be lugging around this term is to the left.


Hey, I wonder...is this something I could make money at? I'm sure loads of other college kids would love to only carry the pages that they absolutely need...

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

If 21 is the age of majority in your state, then I guess in 2 months you'll also be able to vote, marry without your parents' consent and write your own will, PLUS drink! Just don't do any of those other things while drunk!

Sarita said...

Actually we're able to vote and marry without our parent's consent at age 18 here in Oregon. I assume we can also write our will...after all, we are considered adults at age 18. We just aren't trusted with alcohol until we've been an adult for three years.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, I see. We don't have that kind of law in Canada. Once you're an adult at 18, you get all the rights of adulthood, including the right to drink alcohol. Restricting an adult's rights simply on the basis of age (too young or immature to drink) would violate our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Dalesings said...

Perfect thing for your crafts blog!

Maureen said...

I'm pretty sure you can marry without conset at 18 anywhere. I married at 18. But yeah. LOVE the book idea and I'm totally stealing it when I start school in the spring. Haha!

As far as the whole alcohol thing... Yeah. I think you should be able to drink at 18 if you are in the military. Period. Otherwise I think 21 is a fun age! Granted, the whole "awe" of being 21 wears off after a couple of drunken nights, but it is fun to go to a bar, watch some football, and enjoy a beer. :)

Sarita said...

Debra -- On one hand I understand the no drinking until age 21 law, but on the other hand it still seems a little weird. We're adults, but we aren't allowed to drink? A little odd.

Dale -- Somehow I hadn't thought of that! Thanks! :)

Maureen -- Why be able to drink at age 18 if you're in the military but not otherwise? I'm curius to hear your reasoning behind that.