Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Talk to the hand!

I'm taking a break from homework right now -- yes, at 1am -- so I'll try to keep this short, and I won't talk about everything I was wanting to talk about.

First of all, today (well, yesterday by now) is (was) dad's birthday! For a present mom took him out to one of his favorite restaurants that we usually can't afford, and we're also putting together photos we've taken as a screen saver for him.

His cake was a delicious carrot cake. Mom even did the icing special and bought it from the store! Yeah, that doesn't sound special, but in our family we tend to make the icing for carrot cake these days and I guess dad isn't overfond of how we make it. So, mom bought the icing. I'd share a photo, but I don't want to deal with uploading it right now. Maybe later, if people really want me to. :)

Secondly, I was practicing piano and was having trouble with my hand cramping up in a place where I have to really stretch. I remembered someone recently who was saying that pain will sometimes actually to cover up another issue, and that if you address that issue that the pain will go away. She said it worked wonders for horrendous back pain she'd been having, so I decided to take a guess at why my hand was cramping and have a little chat with my hand.

"Ok, I know why you're cramping: I'm afraid of failure. Well, you figure that I can't really fail at the song if I'm unable to learn it in the first place due to your cramping up, so you're actually doing this to try to protect me. Please, stop it.

I want to succeed, and in order to have a chance at succeeding that also means that I have to have a chance at failing. So please, stop cramping, now.

Thank you. Your cooperation is appreciated."

You can call me crazy if you like, but it actually worked.

Ok, back to a certain Chopin piece with BIG BIG chords! (I still want to pronounce it chop-in rather than show-pan.)

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You can't argue with success! Glad your Dad enjoyed his carrot cake and Special Icing!