Sunday, January 10, 2010

Why I was homeschooled


Talking about homeschooling has got me thinking about it, and now I want to share how my brother and I got into it.

I was in third grade, and Tall One (who was actually short then) was in first grade. Things came to him very easily, and he knew what he was doing. He was the straight-A student, and the teacher's pet. Things were going really great for him, except for one thing: he didn't feel challenged.

So during winter break he told mom "I want to be homeschooled, because I'm not being challenged in school." She wasn't overfond of the idea of homeschooling, but rather than giving an outright no she decided to debate it with him. After all, she was an adult, he was a first grader. There was no way she was going to lose the debate, right?

Wrong. He had better arguments than she did. So when school started back, she was homeschooling him.

I looked at him being homeschooled, and I decided that I wanted to get in on the fun. So several months later mom pulled me out of school to be homeschooled. I remember that on the first day of my new status as a homeschooler Tall One and I put on costumes and had our own special little parade around the house. I was so happy to be homeschooled.

Things were different a week later, though. I wanted to go back to school. When mom asked why, I explained "You make me do schoolwork! In school, I can just goof off." lol That was not a good argument to use to convince her to send me back, but I didn't realize it at the time.

Tall One and I were homeschooled all the way up through graduating 12th grade. It worked really really well for us.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You're the first kids I've ever heard of who decided for themselves to be homeschooled! Usually it's the parents who decide. What a great story! And hats off to your Mom for undertaking the role of a homeschooler.

Madam Lost said...

She doesn't remember, but she requested to leave public school and join her brother at home after hearing of our trip to Commonwealth Lake park and watching the Blue Heron catch and eat a fish. Once she heard this story, public school didn't stand a chance. I didn't plan it that way, or did I?

Sarita said...

I'd forgotten that.

By the way, Madam Lost is my mom.

Jupiter Greenmoone said...

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience being home schooled because I definitely plan on home schooling my kiddo.

Sarita said...

:)