Saturday, February 6, 2010

Intolerance that leaves me speechless

Something happened the other day to make me sort of sad.

I was on facebook. Well, that isn't what made me sad, but it's something that happened on facebook. Someone's status was:

Go to urbandictionary.com, type in your 1st name, copy and paste this on your status and put the 1st entry for your name under comments.


This was cool. I did it, and it was fun. In fact, the two friends of mine who also did it shared more than just the first entry, which was extra fun. The thing that made me sad was that one of my facebook friends who did it (and who I've actually met face to face just a few times) said that she wouldn't share the third entry on her facebook, but that we could look it up if we wanted to. I looked it up, and it turned out that it said that her name was slang for "lesbian."

I know she's a Right Wing Christian, but this being me I just had to ask "What's wrong with the word lesbian?" She replied "Everything's wrong with it. I do not want it on my facebook." Then she deleted my question and her reply.

I'm wasn't surprised by her response, but it still made me sad. I'm also sort of speechless. How can someone be so intolerant?

Maybe I should blow some bubbles to cheer myself up. Peace through bubbles!


And now, just for the fun of it, here's what urbandictionary.com says about my name:

1) the hottest most gorgeous chick in alaMURda (alameda for you un gangsta ppl) and i love her !!!!

sarita is my sexy woman and i love her

The next two are in the same vein. Who knew I was so hot? Number 4, and the last one, is...

4) The cheapest person ever. Often thinks extremely discounted sales items are overpriced. Used as an adjective to describe obscenely difficult actions to save small sums of money.

Today I pulled a Sarita and 20 miles because the gas is 1 cent cheaper there.

I actually find number four sort of funny. And since Sarita is the Spanish form of Sarah (did you know that?) I also want to share the first entry for the name Sarah:

1) The name "Sarah" is translated from the Hebrew language. It means "Princess"...and rightly so!

The translation of "Sarah" is "princess"

So I guess I'm a hot princess.

Anyways, I figured that a little bit of levity would be good after talking about intolerance.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So I tried this game too and got some surprisingly flattering results for my name! I didn't know that Sarita is Spanish for Sarah! I just thought it was a really unique name!

Your right wing friend may broaden her outlook as life goes on -- she's still got a lot of life to live. She just hasn't been given any reason yet to question the teachings of her religion.

Sarita Rucker said...

Yeah, she's about my age so she's got a lot of time ahead of her.

If you hear a name that ends with "ita" it's probably Spanish. For example, Mary turns into Marita and Eva turns into Evita (Ever seen Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Evita"? Her name's Eva but they call her Evita).

Lyon said...

Your friends reaction is so over the top and vehement, it almost makes you wonder if she isn't struggling some issues about her own sexuality...

at any rate - fun sounding game, hot princess! lol =)

Sarita Rucker said...

And if you suggested that to her she probably wouldn't take it too well.

And yeah, the game is fun. Maybe I should look up other names as well...