Thursday, February 4, 2010

The moon

I've mentioned before that I'm trying to pay more attention to the lunar cycle. I've always felt disconnected from it, and I find it's easy to forget about the moon. Yes, go ahead and gasp in horror if you like. But it's true. I'm tuned in to the changing of the seasons, but really the only times I pay attention to the moon is if it catches my eye in the sky (hey that rhymes!) and when I start my period.

On Imbolc two days ago I was thinking about how little thought I give to the moon, and that I really ought to pay more attention to it. As I was thinking, I realized that if I do something special to mark the changing of the moon throughout its cycle that I'll have to pay attention to it. So, I decided that I'll do something special every full moon.

I'll probably just light a candle and maybe try to meditate on it, or something equally simple. Not anything fancy, but something that will get me to spend at least a minute or so thinking about it. Whatever it is it needs to be simple, because what if the full moon happens right in the middle of the school week when I'm going crazy because of a crazy schedule?

I don't think I'll need to do anything in particular for the new moon, because my period starts within a few days of it. So I already take note of the new moon to keep track of my own cycle. (If that's TMI for some people I'm sorry. But I'm talking about connecting to the moon and traditionally the woman's cycle is connected to the moon, so...yeah.)

Do you do anything special to celebrate the turning of the moon? If so, what?

4 comments:

Madam Lost said...

Could you disconnect from the phases of the moon have something to do with living in a car wash 9 months of the year? After all, even the local planetarium you visited as a child began the show with a CLOUDY sky. Just a thought.

Sarita Rucker said...

I somehow doubt it, but I'll give it some thought.

Willow Silverhorse said...

I completely understand where you are coming from! I sometimes get disconnected with the cycle of the moon as well. For a while I stopped all magickal practices because I'd become disenchanted with Wicca. Now I'm evolving more towards Natural Witchcraft and I'm relearning how to connect lol... I haven't done anything special to celebrate the turning of the moon here lately but I used to have meditations and such that I did for the full moon.

As a PS... I was going to grab your blog button and would love if you wouldn't mind doing the same?

Sarita Rucker said...

I've grabbed your button.

You button is so beautiful, and so is your blog! :]