Monday, February 22, 2010

Performance

Yesterday the university chamber choir performed with the university orchestra at Marylhurst. And guess what? I'm part of the choir! I was oh so amazed to have been performing with an orchestra, and am still amazed that I got the opportunity. I guess being a music major has its perks!

We did Vilvaldi's "Gloria" songs, of which mom recorded three. I uploaded those three to YouTube, and you may view them below. They're the first things I've uploaded to YouTube.

My favorite one she recorded (and one of my top two favorites overall) is "Cum Sancto Spiritu," which unfortunately she didn't get the very beginning of or the last couple pages of it either. Oh well. Technical difficulties I guess. Those things happen.

By the way, from this whole thing I've picked up only one Latin word: miserere. Care to guess what it means? Yep, exactly what it sounds like: misery. I find it slightly amusing that that's the one word I picked up, and whose meaning was explained to us.







EDIT: I have to add, it can be sort of difficult for me to listen to these because I want to start singing along.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Just beautiful -- good for you! Vivaldi would be proud! And the conductor "looks the part" perfectly, with his shock of white hair. I bet it was wonderful to perform with live accompaniment.

Sarita Rucker said...

I've performed with live accompaniment before. It's just that it's usually been one piano, not an orchestra!

Oh, and speaking of making a composer proud...before the choir got on stage, the orchestra did two pieces by themselves. Well, the composer of the first piece happens to be local, and was in the audience. He seemed very pleased with what he heard. And when the orchestra finished with that piece the conductor dragged the composer up on stage to receive some applause.

Magaly Guerrero said...

WoooHooo! My bloggy friend is a start!! Hun, listen to it over and over and sing, you deserve it. I'm so glad you had the chance to do something you love!

Now, I better go to bed, or I'll fall sleep in class tomorrow ;)

Sarita Rucker said...

I'm also glad that I had the chance to be in this performance. It was amazing.

And don't fall asleep in class! And if you do, just don't snore! I've seen that happen to someone. lol