Tuesday, February 23, 2010

You know you're Oregonian when...

I was thinking about my post the other day where I mentioned something that makes Oregon unique. Well, I decided to find the unofficial list of things of things that makes Oregon special and share it here, with some comments from myself. Some of the things on the list I have no idea what they're talking about, but quite a few of them I totally relate to.

By the way, this is a list that you can find easily by Googling "you know you're Oregonian when..."

*******


1. You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.

Well, yeah, what else is new? Who orders a plain coffee these days?

2. You consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it's not a real mountain.

Of course it's not a real mountain if it has no snow and hasn't erupted.

...ok, ok, ok...I guess I'll admit that the mountains in Montana are real mountains...I guess...

3. You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima and Willamette.

For the last time, the emphasis is on the first syllable of Oregon, not the second.

4. You are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain," and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."

What else is new?

5. You know the state flower (Mildew).

6. You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.

Seriously, yes.

7. You use the statement "sun break" and know what it means.

8. You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.

9. You feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant.

Oh, yeah, I have heard that in some places people really do wear suits to nice restaurants...just not around here!

10. You stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" Signal.

11. You can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Veneto's.


I'm slightly sworn off coffee for the most part at the moment, but...

I did get to where I could taste the difference between the coffee at school, my local coffee place, and Starbucks. If you really pay attention, you can sort of tell the difference between the different Starbucks places!

12. You consider swimming an indoor sport.

Except on very rare occasions, yes.

13. In winter, you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark while only working eight-hour days.

14. You never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.


Wait, people do go camping without those things?

15. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon.

16. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation.


Seriously, I was shocked to find out that you can have humidity without precipitation.

17. You know that Boring is a place and not just a state of mind.

Yep!

18. You can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food.

19. You can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you cannot see through the cloud cover.

Yep yep.

20. You notice, "The mountain is out" when it is a pretty day and you can actually see it.

And the mountain usually isn't out.

21. You put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.

22. You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.

23. You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.

24. You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.

Truthfully, I think this is changing.

25. You buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time.

I honestly don't know where my sunglasses are. I think the last time I saw them was like two years ago maybe...

26. You measure distance in hours.

I was rather amazed to learn that people don't do this in other parts of the country.

27. You often switch from "heat" to "a/c" in the same day.

28. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat.

Of course!

Well, ok, I don't yet, since I don't have kids, but I remember my parents making my Halloween costumes so that they would work with a rain coat!

29. You know all the important seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Raining (Spring), Road Construction (Summer), Deer & Elk season (Fall).

Yep. Totally. And it's really easy to spot the people from out of town in Road Construction season, since they're all amazed at how much road construction is going on. The same is true up in Washington, by the way.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've seen a similar list for the Canadian Prairies, except it says "snow" in all the places where yours says "rain," LOL! Very funny, especially that your state flower is mildew!

Travis Erwin said...

Mildew. I love it.

Sarita Rucker said...

*grin*