Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Manannán Mac Lir Day

I find myself with stuff to do, so I'm going to just copy and paste from a post of mine from this time last year. If I were writing this again I might use slightly different wording, but my attitude is still sort of the same.

Not that I mean to be a part pooper, but...yeah, I guess I am a party pooper! Ah well...

*******

Yes, it's Saint Patrick's Day. I myself don't particularly like the day, because Saint Patrick is celebrated for having driven the "snakes" out of Ireland. Oh, and, they're using "snakes" to refer to "Pagans."

Now, not everyone thinks about this as they celebrate St. Pattie's Day, which is why I don't go around angry with everyone. If people want to wear green, drink green beer, dye a river green, talk with fake Irish accents, and so on and so fourth, that's fine with me. I just can't bring myself to join in, because I can't get past what Saint Patrick is all about. Same goes for my my family.

Now, not all Pagans like me on this. I brought up the topic of St. Patties in a Pagan group I'm part of on facebook, and I got the overwhelming response that it's just a day to have fun and wear green, drink green beer, dye a river green, talk with fake Irish accents, and so on and so fourth.

But, I have found evidence that my family and I aren't the only ones who can't get into St. Pattie's Day.

I discovered that Thalia Took, author of Amused Grace blog, is celebrating Manannán Mac Lir Day today. (The picture is one of her's, by the way.) She apparently got the idea from Anne Johnson, author of my favorite blog, The Gods are Bored. Follow the link I've provided to Took's blog if you want a little more info.

I for one think it would be fantastic if people celebratted Manannán Mac Lir Day on March 17th. So, are there any more converts (in addition to me) who are all for this idea? :)

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad you, Anne and Thalia are creating a bandwagon! I'm not a fan of St. Pat the man, but I do like to celebrate Irish culture and March 17th is the official day for that. So I try to celebrate Irishness, not St. Patrick.

Sarita Rucker said...

:)

Thalia Took said...

Wait, I *just* put up a post about Manannán. You must be referring to last year's post, right? I'm easily confused, which is I suppose not much of a surprise. :)

Sarita Rucker said...

Don't worry, I'm also easily confused.

Yes, everything after the seven stars in this post is copy and pasted from my post about Saint Pattie's Day last year. I actually haven't seen your post about Manannán yet this year, but I'll be sure to check it out!