Monday, March 8, 2010

Moon colonies?

Dad and I had quite an argument this evening. It started when he announced that Obama is cutting the space program. Dad says that if we pull out of space we'll become a backwards country. I, on the other hand, don't see things that way, and I just had to open my yap to argue.

One of the things he said is that it is important for us to get colonies on the moon before any other nation does. When I asked why, he said that if we are behind the other countries we'll no longer become a backwards nation and lose importance in the world. Maybe he's right to some degree, but I doubt that we'll become backwards and unimportant just because we aren't venturing into space.

And then I presented my argument.

We're already messing up our planet. As a people we need to learn to respect our planet before we go messing up our moon or even Mars. I pointed out that this is especially important to me since my spirituality is nature based. To me, our moon and Mars are living entities. I'm not asking everyone to convert to my beliefs, but I do feel that we as a people need to learn to not trash our own planet before we start thinking about building moon colonies or Mars colonies.

The argument lasted fifteen, maybe twenty minutes, but this was what we kept returning to the arguments I presented above.

Also, if it's simply a matter of time energy and money, I think we need to make fixing our health care system a bigger priority than making moon colonies.

What do you think?

.......

Written and posted via iPhone

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I agree with you! Sorry, Mr. Sarita's Dad! Cut the war budget too.

Lyon said...

I have to agree with you here. (Sorry I'm late to the party, I'm catching up on my blog reading.) I say fix crap on our planet before we worry about moving anywhere else. There's way too much work to do here - like you said for example, our health care system. There's a lot of money in the space program that might be better spent in my opinion taking care of our people's problems.

Sarita Rucker said...

Definitely.